Welcome to our Substitute Teacher Page!
Thank you for your interest in substituting for Bertie County Schools. When persons are employed to substitute as elementary or secondary teachers, they are making a commitment to our students, staff, parents and community. Our elementary and secondary schools throughout the county depend on the availability of substitute teachers. Openings for instructional substitutes are not posted; applications are accepted throughout the year.
Instructional Substitute Requirements:
- Online Application (https://www.applitrack.com/bertie/onlineapp/)
- Copy of Effective Teacher Training Certificate
- 1 Character Reference Letter
- Satisfactory Background Check
Process to Become an Instructional Substitute:
- Submit a completed application packet to BCS Human Resources Department for review. (Incomplete application packets will not be considered.)
- Once the requirements have been satisfactorily met the candidate must contact a school principal to volunteer for a total of 8 hours. The candidate must return the signed form prior to submission to the personnel report.
- Those who have successfully completed all of the above requirements (including a satisfactory background check) will be contacted by Human Resources.
- Those who are approved will be given instructions for completing the online substitute teacher training provided through App-Garden University. (There is a $29 fee for this training, and it must be completed prior to substitute teaching for Bertie County Schools.)
Note: If at any time during the process an applicant becomes disqualified he/she will receive notice in writing from the Human Resources Department.
(Any certified person who has been retired for more than five years must complete an observation.)
Applications remain on file for one (1) year.
Please note that all employment with Bertie County Schools is contingent upon successful background check.