All Bertie County students will reach their full personal, health, and academic potential.
The mission of the Bertie School Health Advisory Council is to facilitate opportunities for our students, parents, staff, and community, to improve their health through effective communication, education and activities. The SHAC shall raise the awareness and increase participation of positive health practices and activities, thus promoting "Healthy Lifestyles"
The goals of the Bertie SHAC are to:
- increase parent involvement in the SHAC
- perform ongoing assessments of the eight areas of coordinated school health
- help ensure the success of programs designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease, and chronic disease in the district's student and employee population
- provide recommendations to the Bertie County decision makers about areas of coordinated school health that could be altered to improve the health of Bertie students and staff
Components of Concentration for 22-23
- Physical Education and Physical Activity: Physical education classes and physical activities that promote physical fitness, motor skills, social and personal.
- Health Services: Services provided to students to appraise, protect, and promote health.
- Counseling, Psychological, and Social Services: Services provided to improve students’ mental, emotional, and social health. These services improve the health of the students and the health of the school environment.
Bertie School Health Advisory Council meets quarterly.
We are looking for parents of students to join our group.
Bertie SHAC Chair
2022-23 Bertie School Health Advisory Counsel Members
BCS Human Resources
BCS Social Worker
Mary Jane Lyonnais
Healthy Foods Coordinator
BCS Lead Nurse
Bertie Rural Health
Tobacco Prevention Manager
BCS Nutrition Director
ARHS Health Educator
BCS Human Resources Director